Replicant Rectilinear Composition

Wooden Rectilinear Composition Replicants

Final comparison


I started off with an unprocessed piece of 2″x 6″ pine wood which was about 33 inches long.  My first step was to process the piece to create uniform surfaces on each side. I used the Jointer first to create one flat surface, as well as one flat edge.

Planing wood

Once I had a flat edge and surface, I took the piece of wood over to the planer. I sent it through until I reached the height of my dominant foam piece (which was one inch). Once I had the proper height, I cut off a third of my wood (eleven inches) and continued to plane the wood down to the height of my subdominant piece. Since both my subdominant and subordinate pieces have the same height, I was able to stop planing once I reached this height (which was three eighths) .

Once the wood was processed down to the correct height, I cut the rough shapes out of each piece on the band saw. Once the pieces were cut, I sanded them down to the exact size of the corresponding pieces from the foam form. The next challenge was deciding which pieces to cut slots into. I ended up making the slots in my dominant and subdominant pieces.

For the dominant piece, I had to remove a section from the bottom of the block so that the subordinate piece would appear to be piercing the dominant piece. I did this by marking up the area that I would be cutting out, and creating two circles in the center of the piece. I used the drill press to remove the majority of the wood and the band saw to take off the excess wood. I then filed down the slot until the subordinate piece fit perfectly.

The subdominant slot was a bit easier to cut than the dominant slot. I marked out the area that I would be cutting out and then used the band saw to cut the vertical sides of the slot. Once the sides were cut, I used a chisel to remove the block of wood. I then used a file to bring it down to the correct size.

Unassembled pieces

After all of the pieces had been sanded and the slots were the correct size, I began to assemble the entire composition.

Gluing first piece

I began by gluing the subdominant piece to the dominant. There was a slight gap between the sides of the subdominant piece so I made sure that the the clamps held the sides snug to the dominant form. Once the glue dried, I moved on to clamping the subordinate form.

Gluing second piece

The subordinate was a simple piece to glue. The notch in the dominant form was the exact same size as the subordinate so I barely needed any glue to attach the final piece. I held the subordinate piece in with just one clamp, with a second on the other end to support the entire composition while it dried. After both pieces were glued in place, I began to recreate the small scratches and imperfections that the foam had in the wooden model. I used various tools to create these small marks such as a chisel, files, a butter knife, an awl, and a few others.  Once all of the imperfections were replicated in the wooden form, I used clear polyurethane as a finisher.


In total I used two coats of polyurethane. I used 400 grit sandpaper in between each coat to create a foam-like texture.

Final Foam Composition:


Foam Composition


Final Wooden Composition

wooden Composition


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s