Star Cube Remake
During my first round of Illuminated volumes, I took this picture of a cube model that appeared to be far more complex then it was. (the cube on the right is the same cube in the image on the left).
I was so intrigued by the shape that I had created through this image that I began to try to recreate it.
I started off with trying to understand what the shape looked like in a three dimensional view.
I then went into small scale rough fidelity paper models.
I used a cardboard cube that I had previously created to form as a base while I tried to figure out the angles and measurements.
Once I had the majority of the measurements, I quickly stuck them together with tape.
The first full paper model
I then started to figure out how to bind the volume together without using tape, I needed to have some overlapping pieces so that the glue can hold them both in place.
Once the binding pieces had been measured out, I began by building the base of the form and then adding on each individual piece. After hours of sketching, trial and error, and stacks of Bristol paper, I was able to recreate the volume that was portrayed in the image.